If you have seen a seahorse or a pipefish in the coastal waters of Europe or anywhere around the Mediterranean Sea, you can contribute to our Hippo-ATLAS project. Here is how to proceed.
The best way: making photographs! Even if their quality is not perfect, photos are always useful. They allow to check the species and whether it is a male or a female, and they give indications on morphological and environmental features.
If you do not have a photo, you can nevertheless send us your data, but try to identify the species and the sex, and to gather all useful information.
To fulfil as best as you can Hippo-ATLAS needs, please read the following advice.
Get your photos ready
• Select photos that show the general aspect of the animal and it’s close environment. A side view of the head might be interesting as well. If you cannot make a choice, no problem, the contribution form accepts as much as three photos.
• Crop if necessary for the specimen to be clearly visible (your photos will appear postcard sized on line).
• Resize if necessary: the recommended size is 1600 pixels for the largest dimension (minimum 900 pixels).
• Use JPEG or RVB image file formats.
Gather data about the animal
• The animal's aspect: size, colour, skin appendages…